Press "Enter" to skip to content

Maya Moore Marries Jonathan Irons After His Release From Prison

Maya Moore Marries Jonathan Irons After His Release From Prison. According to BBC WNBA star, Maya Moore has married Jonathan Irons, the man she helped to free from prison following his wrongful conviction for assault and burglary.

Maya Moore Marries Jonathan Irons After His Release From Prison

He was released in July after spending 23 years in the prison, his conviction having been overturned in march. Moore had paused her WNBA career in 2009 to focus on getting him free.

31-year-old Moore, one of the best players in WNBA history, also has two Olympic and two World Championship gold medals. She gave up her career early in 2019 to help Irons, who she met for over 12 years, who was serving a 50-year term.

However, to overturn the conviction, judge Daniel Green called the case very weak and circumstantial at best. When Iron walked out of the prison as a free man, Moore fell on her knees as she greeted him.

Maya Moore Marries Jonathan Irons After His Release From Prison

According to The New York Times a journey for justice has turned into a love story when Moore married the man she assisted to be free from prison.

Iron walked out of a Missouri prison in July after being convicted for over 20 years.

He was convicted in charges of assault and burglary. He is was pleaded not guilty, as he insisted that he was not at the scene of the crime and had been misidentified.

Further, Moore’s family met Irons through prison ministry in 2007. She made a short visit before her freshman year at the University of Connecticut, where she became one of the most heralded women’s basketball players in collegiate history.

How Moore And Irons Love Story Began

Irons and Moore said on Wednesday, on “Good morning America, “We wanted to announce today that we are super excited to continue the work that we’ve been doing together, but doing it as a married couple.”

They said they have plans to keep educating people about voting and to help others who had been wrongfully convicted. Iron said, “ we are doing our part.”

Ms. Moore also said that sometimes in the spring she would have a “next step moving forward” concerning her career (basketball) which was kept on hold last year to answer what she said was a call from God.

Iron said that when he met Moore at the prison, he was skeptical. And she was 18 at that time, who came for a short visit and wanted to hear his story.

In an interview last year with The New York Times, she recalled that she told him “ I’m here because I care.” Iron called Moore “ a lifesaver who gave him hope, she is light” in an interview last year.

Moore said that during college, she started to see Irons as she would see a sibling. Thus, it was challenging to go to Missouri for visits, but they still keep in touch with each other.

In 2016 Moore spoke publicly about her friendship with Irons, the time she started championing changes in law enforcement and the legal system after a series of police shootings of unarmed Black men.

However, she became a strong voice for prosecutorial changes, she stunned the sports world where she announced that she would step out in her basketball career, so she could help Irons in what they thought would be his last appeal.

Fortunately, Irons’s conviction was overturned. It was overturned by a state judge in Jefferson City,Mo. Iron was sixteen when the crime for which he was convicted occurred.

How The Case Started

He was prosecuted for burglarizing a home in a St. Louise suburb and assaulting the home-owner with a gun. Although there were no corroborating witnesses, DNA, fingerprints, or blood evidence that connects Irons to the crime.

But the prosecutor claims that Irons admitted to breaking into the victim’s home, but Irons and his lawyer denied that. It happened that the officer who interrogated Irons failed to record the conversation. Irons who is a black-American was tried as an adult and found guilty by an all-white jury.

However, the Judge’s decision hinged on fingerprint evidence that had not been presented by prosecutors in his initial trial.

Irons lawyer, Kent Gipson argued that the state withheld that evidence, which could have shown someone else was responsible for the crime.

He was released from the Prison in July and was welcomed by Moore as soon as he walked out. After a short time, they got married.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *